by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film 10 years into the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic on-screen set finally reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up making use of their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom died in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little town woman therefore afraid of dedication that she actually is dashed from the altar 3 times plus the jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for a 4th time. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted towards the movie theater to look at set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was in fact when you look at the works well with over ten years with several other a-listers connected to star sooner or later, a more impressive blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that has been released in 1990.
But simply it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out just weeks before.)
Nevertheless, by way of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both independently and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, no matter if it had been rarely made and had an ending that is different one point.
From the A-listers that have been initially designed to star when you look at the film in 1991 to Roberts’ very own experience as a runaway bride, listed below are 20 enjoyable facts you do not find out about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride ended up being actually when you look at the works well with over ten years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and cynical journalist.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to guide the film, however it dropped apart if the director that is first in had problems with the script. Throughout the next couple of years, movie movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all into the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock had been enthusiastic about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie together with her suitors–and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, because of the studio liking the basic concept of a more youthful few. Nevertheless when Affleck passed, among the producers chose to approach Gere.
3. Before he signed on to try out Ike: “Whenever you can get Julia, i am in. while he liked the script, Gere had one condition the studio needed to satisfy” Roberts, who’d initially been uncertain associated with the movie whenever she read a version that is previous of script years prior, chose to take another appearance. And after a call along with her old Pretty Woman man that is leading the film movie stars had been prepared to reunite.
“People have now been hoping to get them straight right back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles days. “And abruptly it happened—it was all settled in per week.”
4. The next telephone call had been one Gere and Roberts will have to make together, because they needed to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to help make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale once more. There clearly was one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to just just take their spouse to Australia for a much-needed holiday.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, you want to confer with your spouse,” Marshall recalled towards the book. “They informed her things such as, ‘ exactly How many times do we get to be able to do that?’ and, ‘we are going to just simply simply take proper care of him,’ therefore finally we stated, ‘OK, we’ll get it done.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly stress-free experience for the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of their main character, now armed with ten years of expertise on sets along with stardom.
“Richard was in fact really cautious on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a much more ready to be funny,” the manager stated. “Mostly we chatted inside our very very own small shorthand. All I experienced doing had been yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as gross that is back-end the movie, Roberts received $17 million on her behalf dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie movie stars shown worthy of the big paydays, as Runaway Bride started at number 1 at the package workplace, getting a week-end total of around $35 million, undoubtedly the most useful opening ever for a Roberts movie during the time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million internationally), being a blockbuster hit, it received lower than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching right right back from the film in an meeting with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that miracle was in the movie that is first you cannot make that take place. While there is some wonderful stuff in the film, it really did not have the secret regarding the very very first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same sort of delicious secret ended up being reckless. It absolutely was a new film, it absolutely was yet another time, she was at another type of spot, I was in an alternate spot.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the tiny city of Berlin, Md., turning it into the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million in to the economy that is local upped the true property market and very nearly doubling tourism after the movie’s release.
“We have been completely surprised,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun associated with effect the film had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. “The movie ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to numerous individuals. It place us in the map.”
9. As soon as known as “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere car asian marriage agency continues to be a spot of pride for Berlin, utilizing the town holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
“People are available in plus they wish to hear, ‘Hey did you get to meet up Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can the house is seen by us? Where had been the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we are going to provide the individuals whatever they want and so they desire to celebrate the film so we are planning to take action up because of its twentieth anniversary.”